The foundations beneath Eivindvik Church are of a round or oval shape, as was customary in medieval times. There has been a church on this site since at least the 14th century, although it is likely that a church stood here even earlier. The present-day church was built in 1863 by the architect G. A. Bull. The builder was Ole Syslak from Lindås. The altarpiece, dating from 1872, was painted by Christen Brun. Inside the church is a stone baptismal font carved from kyanite-garnet-muscovite-schist.
The baptismal font
The baptismal font at Eivindvik Church originally stood next to the cross, outside the church wall. The same was the case at Hamre Church on the island of Osterøy outside Bergen. Many have wondered why the font was situated outside in the open air. The explanation may be that people who had not been baptised were not permitted to enter the church ground, which was sacred. They therefore had to be baptised outside the wall before they were allowed to go in. Today, the font stands inside the church, up by the altar.
In the churchyard is the grave of Pastor Dahl, who was the senior pastor in charge of several local parishes, as well as a member of the Storting (parliament) and a great benefactor in the district. He built “Herresalen” which is just below the church. Check the QR code outside Pastor Dahl’s house for more information about him.
Visitors are welcome into the church, which is open in summer. During the rest of the year, visitors may borrow a key from the church office in the municipal council building.